2007-12-16

meal for a poor

Just saw of quote attributed to Albert Einstein (likely from Einstein by Walter Isaacson. 2007)

"I am enthralled by the lunimous figure of the Nazarene. Jesus is too colossal for the pen of the phrase-mongers, however artful... No one can read the gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."

After I saw this quote, I started to look for writings about this quote. The first piece of information found was an article Isaacson wrote for TIME megazine. This is a great quote with a lot of deep meaning behind it, however, what intrigues the most was a little side story about a weekly with a poor medical student.

When Einstain was 10, he modified an old Judism tradition and invited a poor medical student for diner weekly. This student, Max Talmud, provided the intelectual stimulation that exposed Einstein as a mathematical genius. This was a crucial piece of the puzzle to Einstein's intellectual development. I have always heard of his late language developemnt during childhood, but have not heard about how he started on his road to become an intellectual giant.

This little story is a great example of how a good deed leads to great rewards. However, I couldn't help wondering out load: how many parents would let a ten-year old invite a college kids to dinner every week nowadays?

Luk 9:48 Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me"

No comments: